Moving house and unsure how best to settle your pets into a new environment? We’ve put together our top 7 tips to help make the transition as smooth and relaxed as possible – for both you and your pet.
- Familiarise your pet with their travel crate. Put your pets crate in an area that they like to spend a lot of time and place their bedding and favourite treats inside. Make interacting with the crate a fun experience, so that when the time comes to move, they will feel comfortable and relaxed in their crate.
- It’s a good idea to slowly introduce your pet to their new home. For cats, keep them confined to a small, quiet room. Choose a room that your cat can ‘own’ for the next few days and place their food, water and litter in there, as well as a comfortable space to sleep and of course – somewhere to hide!
- Start settling your dog into their new routine as soon as you move in. Walk your dog once daily, especially in the morning, along the same route each day. Not only will this familiarise them with their new neighbourhood and its smells, but it will also help burn off any excess energy they may have and reduce stress levels, which will help if you will generally be out during the day.
- You may be tempted to buy new toys, accessories and bedding for your pet when you move into a new home. It’s best to avoid this as providing them with items they are familiar with will help make the transition comforting.
- If your dog is barking or digging excessively, you will need to consider the cause. Are they bored? Do they have separation anxiety? If the problem is not easily rectified with training and exercise, you may need to consult your vet for an effective solution.
- Transitioning an outdoor cat to a new, unfamiliar outdoor environment can be a difficult task. Make sure you supervise their first expeditions and only allow your cat outdoors for short periods over the first few weeks until they form an attachment to their new home.
- Give your pets lots of love and care to help make the transition to a new home a little easier!
As a Ray White Forrest Hill & Sunnynook office client, your pet will receive a complimentary night boarding with Pet’s in the City.